Landing Team Kernel Engineer
Job. No: 1384
- Category: Member Services
- Company: Linaro
- Region: North American based
Your role will be to advise and collaborate on the development and upstreaming of the Linux kernel support for a specific SoC and target development boards.
Landing Team Summary: A landing team is a team composed of Linaro engineers, and engineers from a specific SoC vendor. The team is formed for a specific period of time, usually 6 to 12 months to tackle a specific set of problems related to Linux and a particular SoC. Currently landing teams are focusing efforts on kernel enablement and kernel upstreaming for member SoCs.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Keenly understands ARM based hardware support in the Linux kernel and userspace applications.
- Provides design and code review expertise to accelerate the upstreaming of specific silicon platform code.
- Works with platform kernel specialists to ensure common frameworks and facilities are available to accelerate enablement and improve system stability.
- Collaborates with other teams in Linaro and with upstream developers where appropriate.
Required skills and experience:
- Capacity to learn new systems and techniques quickly.
- Excellent experience in embedded Linux kernel development.
- Experience with ARM related kernel components and drivers.
- Ability to work closely with engineers at other organizations enabling Linux on ARM based devices, providing code review, guidance and training.
- Understanding of current trends in Linux kernel development, including device trees, performance events and ftrace.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Strong English communication skills, especially over phone, email and IRC.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience with Debian or Ubuntu ARM ports, or ARM CPU's in general.
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology.
- Experience submitting code to upstream projects.
- Ability to mentor less experienced team members on Linux, open source software and upstreaming of code.
Landing team members are expected to participate in a landing team kickoff meeting, all Linaro Connect events, plus one or more development “sprints” involving international travel.
« Back to Linaro's Linaro vacancies